/ ABOUT THE ARTIST ///
John T. Lange is an artist living and working in Los Angeles, CA. Trained as a conceptual artist in Philadelphia, PA, Lange works in various materials and mediums in order to bring his thought-provoking creations to life. This includes but is not limited to; installation, sculpture, drawing, painting, printmaking, collage and photography.
/ ARTIST STATEMENT ///
I am continually fascinated by contrasting themes such as the permanent and impermanent, chaos and order, humanity and nature. My artwork is a study of both the external landscapes of the natural world and the internal landscapes of human experience. Through these landscapes, I am examining the irony of how exploration may ultimately lead to destruction, both of nature and memory.
/ CV ///
• Tyler School of Art, Temple University. Philadelphia, PA. Graduated January, 1997. B.F.A. Received Edith Weil Hecht Memorial Award from Sculpture Department for outstanding achievements. Majored in sculpture with additional studies in art history, graphic design, painting, photography and printmaking.
• Abroad program in Rome, Italy. Temple University. 1995
• Monte Vista Projects. Los Angeles, CA. November 2017. LAndscape, group exhibition.
• Barnsdall Art Center Gallery. Los Angeles, CA. February - April 2017. Then & Now, group exhibition.
• Arena 1 Gallery. Los Angeles, CA. February 2016. fresh stART, group exhibition benefiting H.O.L.A..
• ICEBOX Project Space at Crane Arts. Philadelphia, PA. March - April 2013. Victory for Tyler: Victory for All 2013, group exhibition. Juried by Paulina Pobacha, Assistant Curator, Department of Painting and Sculpture, MOMA.
• Cirrus Gallery. Part of the Pacific Standard Time exhibits. Los Angeles, CA. March 2012. Open Network, group exhibition.
• Pacific Standard Time. Los Angeles, CA. January - March 2012. Artists' Tower of Protest, group exhibition. Organized by LAXART and the Getty Research Institute. Curated by Cesar Garcia.
• LACDA. Los Angeles, CA. December 2011. Snap to Grid, group exhibition.
• Shoshana Wayne Gallery. Los Angeles, CA. July - August 2011. Chain Letter, group exhibition. Curated by Christian Cummings and Doug Harvey.
• Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. January - February 2009. One is Silver and the Other Gold.
• interReview Journal. Issue 7, Artist Project. Collaboration with Suzanne Lacy of a limited edition printed art piece titled, time between is the spine of this book.
• Hollywood: Hidden From View. Featured as one of the "serious" fine artists in a documentary that explores the differences, if any, between Hollywood production art and "serious" fine art. Creative Force Production, 2007. Directed by Keith Lawrence at the Mary Pickford Institute.
• 222Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. December 2005 - January 2006. Something in the Water, group exhibition.
• ILK Gallery. Denver, CO. May 2000. Group exhibition.
• Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. 2000. CannibalEyes, solo exhibition.
• Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. 1999. KooKaHaRa, solo exhibition.
• I.C.A. (Institute of Contemporary Art). Philadelphia, PA. August 1998. Group exhibition.
• Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. 1998. New Members, Group exhibition.
• Gallery Joe. Philadelphia, PA. 1997. Solo exhibition.
• Temple University Gallery. Rome, Italy. 1995. Group exhibition.
• Help Wanted Gallery. Stone Harbor, NJ. 1995 – 1998. Exhibiting artist with many solo & group exhibitions.
• Exit Gallery. Regensberg, Germany. 1995 – 1998. Exhibiting artist with many solo & group exhibitions.
• Works part of Cedars-Sinai permanent collection. Beverly Hills, CA.
• Works part of Tyler School of Art permanent collection. Philadelphia, PA.
• ArtSlant. 2012 Showcase Winner in the sculpture category.
• Tyler School of Art. Received Edith Weil Hecht Memorial Award from Sculpture Department for outstanding achievements. 1997.
• Cedars-Sinai. Beverly Hills, CA. 2003 – present. Received many Standing Ovation Awards for excellence in docent tours & for special exhibitions hung throughout the medical center.
• 101communications LLC. Chatsworth, CA. 1999 – 2000. Art director of computer consumer and trade magazines as well as numerous supplement magazines. Awarded second prize for best design of a new publication by ASBPE (American Society of Business Press Editors). Finalist for many WPA and ASBPE awards.
• Boucher Communications, Inc (acquired by 101communications LLC - see above). Fort Washington, PA. 1998 – 1999. Graphic designer and stand–in art director for computer trade magazines. Awarded many regional and national ASBPE awards for art and editorial direction.
• Heard Museum. Phoenix, AZ. Exhibition Schedule - October 2018 - February 2019. Preparator and installation specialist for Yua: Henri Matisse and the Inner Arctic Spirit exhibition. Art handling, installation, mating, framing and general problem solving for the historic exhibition. Co-curated by Sean Mooney and Chuna McIntyre.
• Cedars-Sinai. Beverly Hills, CA. 2003 – present. Art Curator. Responsible for: the growth, care, framing, storage, inventory and exhibition of the world-renowned Cedars-Sinai fine art collection. Gives frequent tours of the art collection to patients, visitors and staff. Interfaces with the local and national news outlets. Received many Standing Ovation Awards for excellence in docent tours & for special exhibitions hung throughout the medical center.
• Art Talks Lecture Series. Festival of Arts, Pageant of the Masters. Laguna Beach, CA. 2012.
• The Rotary Club of Beverly Hills. Guest Speaker, October 2010.
• interReview Journal. Los Angeles, CA. 2005 – 2008. Art Director for a print and online fine art journal. http://interReview.org
• RAVEN Magazine. Los Angeles, CA. 2004 – 2005. Art Director & Production Consultant for startup consumer magazine of men’s humor and general interests.
• Judge for the 2003 WPA Maggie awards.
• URB Magazine. Los Angeles, CA. 2001 – 2003. Graphic Designer promoted to Production & IT Manager for consumer music-and-lifestyle magazine. Received a Maggie award for best alternative lifestyles magazine by WPA (Western Publications Association) and was a finalist of the music category.
• Member, Vox Populi Gallery. Philadelphia, PA. 1998 – 2002. Exhibiting artist and gallery assistant. Responsible for the design of all printed materials for the gallery.
• Artist assistant October - November 1995. Installation assistant to Italian artist Licia Galizia in Rome, Italy for the exhibition configurazione di un mutamento at Temple Gallery. Curated by Shara Wasserman.
• 1995 – present. Exhibiting artist, gallery assistant, and shop technician for various other galleries and studios in Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Rome, Italy. Specifics available upon request.